Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Hand Lettered Thanks and Flora & Fauna 2

Hello! Our newest products - the August 2014 Collection - is now available for purchase! Remember, you can find everything at wplus9.com, as well as at many of your favorite retailers.

Wplus9 August 2014 Collection

I have more inspiration to share with you today, featuring Hand Lettered Thanks and Flora & Fauna 2. In fact, I've been having so much fun with these sets, that I decided to split this post in two.

Flora & Fauna 2 has so much potential. You can color it with Copics, pencils, watercolors etc., or just simply stamp it. All of the images in this set are based off of sketches that I have done in the past for watercolor paintings. You can make it as simple or intricate as you'd like.

Today, I wanted to share a few more simple ways to use this set. This first sample looks a lot more difficult than it really is.

I started by stamping the images in Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Frayed Burlap and allowed that to dry or "cure". Then I used Tim Holtz Distress Markers to color it. I colored directly onto the watercolor paper and used a paint brush with very little water on it to soften and spread the color. This technique is really more like coloring it with Copic Markers than watercoloring. Since I used so little water, it makes this a lot less intimidating and easier to control.

For the sentiment, I stamped the sub-sentiment first and then masked it using a cut down piece of washi tape. Then I stamped the big "you" from Hand Lettered Thanks directly on top and then removed the mask.

This little trick allowed me stamp the "are such a blessing" without the "y" in "you" obscuring it.

Since we stamped the outlined images in Frayed Burlap (a slightly darker color) and allowed it to dry into the paper, the veins in the butterflies wings and details in the flowers remained and show through. I just LOVE this look!

Next up, I used the same technique, but a little more water. You'll notice that the colors are a little softer and the "fades" are more prominent, especially in the hummingbird thanks to a little more water.

This is a great way to build up your confidence incorporating watercolor into your work. And once you are comfortable you can start adding more water and eventually move to painting with the color.

Again, you see how some of the detail in the hummingbird's chest and throat remained. This adds just a touch of detail that you didn't have to do any work to achieve. Score!

My last cards for today demonstrate just how versatile these images are.

Coloring not your thing? Soft and girly not your thing?

No Problem!

How about a graphic note card set. You all know how much I love pairing opposites. Here I've used our Ink Splats stamp set to lay down some color and then just stamped the outlined images over top in Black.

I added a sentiment to each using Hand Lettered Thanks, rounded one corner, and called it done!

Really doesn't get much easier than that, does it?!

Hope you enjoyed today's post. Like I said, I've split this into two. I will be back with more samples and a couple of videos that pair traditional watercolor with these stamps. You will not be able to believe that these started with stamps! And, it's totally do-able!

Thanks for stopping by! See you soon!

All Featured Supplies

55 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lordy, these are fabulous. Your coloring is so perfect - really, it is just the right mix of color and intensity. I also love your graphic note cards, the ink splats just finish those babies right off. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are so stunning! I am always inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok great. Already ordered. Decided to wait on the hummingbirds. Now I can't. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards and stamp is super amazing!! LOVE it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These cards are absolutely gorgeous! This is such a wonderful release!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your artwork takes my breath away Dawn!!!!!!!!!! I want to buy them all now, but have to wait till payday... sad face :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cards! Great release! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn, I sure hope you know just how talented you are! These cards are amazing and I can't WAIT for your videos! The minute I saw your tweet this morning I ordered lots of goodies from this fabulous release! Looking forward to playing with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, I really love the Clean and simple ones a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your cards are SO beautiful, Dawn! I just placed an order for this fabulous set and the dies too! Can't wait to play!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I just ordered and now I HAVE to have this set too! Your cards are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply stunning! I want to be you when I decide to grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, these cards are just gorgeous Dawn. Wish I could spend some money on these fab new products...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that first butterfly card is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to see a video of how you made that butterfly card

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cards are just AWESOME..Specially the first two..breath taking !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore the ink splattered cards with the images stamped over the splatters. And, stamping in frayed burlap before coloring is another fantastic tip. Love your new stamps and sentiments!!! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! These are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These samples are out of this world. Truly stunning.
    Hugs
    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE LOVE this stamp set so very much...your cards are STUNNING and a Masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the watercoloured cards, and hope to see videos of how you did these? Please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMGosh!! Wait... I need to pick up my jaw............... :) So stunning I adore those splat ones too -- I will be CASEing those for sure!! A painter I am not

    ReplyDelete
  24. A-MAZ-ING You are so talented...and these cards are gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your new release is very exciting!!! Love the watercoloring and would love to see a video on how you did them, if you have a mind to do one!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm in complete amazement with today's projects. Can't wait to see what more you have in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. GORGEOUS!! I love how you "threw" the last two together!

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What lovely work you do, Dawn! Your watercoloring is so beautiful, and thanks for the ideas for coloring when we're not in the mood - I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am amazed with your watercoloring!!! Just saw one of your older videos today, can't wait for the new ones!!! Love the newest release!##

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are absolutely gorgeous! I love your cards! Can't wait until I get my order. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These stamps are so well thought-out, Dawn, and your projects are absolutely amazing! I can't wait until I'm able to purchase some of these sets!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous cards and I just love the graphic note cards!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning cards and as always an incredible release!!!!! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My jaw just dropped. Such stunning watercolour projects. You rocked it! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an absolutely stunning collection of cards. I thought the flora and fauna stamps would be good to colour, I was wrong they are amazingly good to colour.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love love love. These are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loved all of your cards and that is one of the reason I bought theses sets. Also because Kara had some beauties! I should have them soon and can’t wait! Thanks for the inspiration and enabling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love these two sets- a must buy. Fabulous cards and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my word! Your features are absolutely STUNNING especially the first two! Gosh as much as I'd love to try the technique, I'm afraid I'll be so disappointed if they didn't look a fraction like yours. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOVE the hummingbirds! Our new yard is flooded with them, and I couldn't be happier! So you KNOW I will be getting this set for all my pocket pages and photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, Dawn! These cards are art. I love your watercoloring and the beautiful images. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just received these stamp sets in today's mail and can't wait to try them! Thank you for the videos. You make water coloring look so easy! I struggle with it, but keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my...these are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  44. ADORABLE cards and great stamp set! I am in love with watercoloring:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are completely beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Dawn, please make a video of the first butterfly card. I loved the one you made using watercolors, but would really like to see your distress marker technique. Thanks for all the great inspiration you provide.

    ReplyDelete

Connect with us:

Follow Us on Pinterest